What is the most effective way to supplement vitamin C?
Vitamin C is an essential nutrient for the body Since the body cannot synthesize or store it on its own, we need to supplement the recommended amount of vitamin C daily. So what is the most effective way to supplement vitamin C? Let’s find out through the article of Solife.blog below!
1. What is the role of vitamin C in the body?
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is one of the important factors that helps support the health of the immune system. harmful agent. In addition, vitamin C also has many other functions such as:
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is one of the important factors that helps support the health of the immune system, harmful agent. In addition, vitamin C also has many other functions such as:
- Collagen formation: The unique function of vitamin C is to play a role in collagen formation. Lack of vitamin C makes collagen synthesis defective, causing broken capillaries, bad teeth and bones, slow wound healing. Combined with collagen to help slow skin aging, firm skin, bright smooth.
- Antioxidant: Vitamin C is one of the body’s antioxidants, blocking free radicals, restoring the reduced form of vitamin E, converting to the active antioxidant form, reducing chronic diseases.
- Participates in the fight against allergies, increases immune function, stimulates bile secretion and releases steroid hormones.
- Vitamin C is needed for the conversion of cholesterol into bile acids, involved in detoxification
- Vitamin C promotes iron absorption and utilization.
- Good for mental and psychological health: Vitamin C supports normal nerve function and the function of the nervous system to be able to cope with the pressures of everyday life. Vitamin C also helps reduce fatigue and fatigue, and protects memory. Vitamin C deficiency will increase the risk of memory disorders, memory loss.
- Reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease.
- Reduces uric acid levels in the blood and the risk of gout.
Vitamin C deficiency can lead to scurvy, although it is now quite rare because the cause and treatment are known. However, the disease can still be seen in the elderly with a diet lacking in fruits and vegetables, and in alcoholics with a restricted diet. Initially, there will be non-specific symptoms such as fatigue, cramps, shallow breathing, muscle, bone and joint pain, poor appetite. The skin becomes dry and there are red, bleeding gums in the gums leading to secondary infection. (1)
Read more: Essential vitamins for the body that you should know
2. What is the most effective way to supplement Vitamin C for the body?
Vitamin C deficiency is common in people with nutritional deficiencies, the elderly, alcoholics, malabsorption,… The body cannot produce vitamin C on its own and cannot store it in the body, so we need to supplement with vitamin C every day. So how can we supplement vitamin C? Vitamin C can be supplemented through 3 ways: oral route, oral route and injection route.
2.1 Supplementation through food
Vitamin C is present in most fresh fruits and vegetables, we can completely get vitamin C through a diet rich in vegetables and fruits.
People often think vitamin C is abundant in citrus fruits. However, there are many other foods that are much richer in vitamin C such as guava, yellow bell pepper, parsley, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, red pepper, kiwi fruit, mango, strawberry…
During processing, the amount of vitamin C in food will often be lost, to avoid over-processing, too long to avoid loss of nutrients in food. It is possible to prioritize vitamin C supplementation in raw foods, Doctors also recommend that vitamin C supplements be given priority through the diet.
Read more articles to know the highest foods contain vitamin C
2.2 Oral supplementation
If you can’t get enough vitamin C through food, you can meet your body’s need for vitamin C by mouth. Drink vitamins, juices made from foods rich in vitamin C or use vitamin C supplements in the form of tablets, capsules, …
2.3 Supplementation by injection
When the body falls into a state of acute illness, infection, endocrine diseases, and allergies, it is necessary to take high doses of vitamin C, and need to be infused. Injectable vitamin C supplements need to comply with the prescribed dosage and be used only for purposes that have been approved by the FDA to ensure safety. Supplementing by injection can also pose some risks because vitamin C helps increase iron absorption, so when taking high doses of vitamin C the body will also absorb more iron, which is not good for the body. People with kidney disease using high doses of vitamin C will also increase the risk of kidney stone formation, digestive disorders.
3. Notes when supplementing vitamin C for the body
- Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin C, sparingly soluble in alcohol and insoluble in organic solvents. Therefore, when supplementing with vitamin C, it is necessary to drink a lot of water so that the body can easily digest, absorb and excrete.
- You should consult a doctor, an expert before taking vitamin C supplements to avoid affecting your health. For example: If you are suffering from stomach-related diseases, you should not take vitamin C on an empty stomach because it will irritate the stomach, causing reflux syndrome and discomfort.
- If in a normal state of health, you should take vitamin C supplements 30 minutes before breakfast, do not take vitamin C supplements before going to bed to avoid insomnia and prevent unnecessary heartburn.
- If you supplement vitamin C with supplements, functional foods, you should carefully read the instructions for use and the ingredient list. But use and go to the nearest medical facility if there is an unusual allergic reaction.
Vitamin C is very important and necessary to help you have a healthy body and beautiful figure. Hopefully the above article will help you supplement vitamin C effectively and properly.
(1) Nhiễm trùng thứ phát: là loại nhiễm trùng trên một cơ thể đang bị suy yếu do một nhiễm trùng khác