Instructions on how to supplement calcium and important notes
Calcium is a very important catalyst for the body, in all stages of life. Help children grow taller, prevent skeleton in adults. If you do not know how to supplement calcium safely and effectively, Please refer to Solife article below!
1. Benefits of calcium supplements for the body
Calcium is one of the basic components of bones and teeth, helping to keep bones and teeth strong. In addition, calcium is necessary for neuromuscular activity, heart function, cell metabolism and blood clotting.
Benefits of calcium supplements
- Supports bone health, prevents osteoporosis:People with osteoporosis can have serious consequences from falls. Osteoporosis fractures are a major cause of disability in the elderly. Women are more prone to osteoporosis than men, but that doesn’t mean men are less prone to osteoporosis
- Reducing premenstrual syndrome (PMS): Calcium can help reduce common signs of PMS that interfere with daily life such as fatigue, irritability, mood swings, bloating and cravings.
- Helps develop healthy bones and teeth: Calcium plays a very important role in helping children grow tall and have strong teeth. Calcium is one of the elements that make up tooth enamel, protecting teeth from bacteria and plaque. Children with calcium deficiency are prone to rickets, delayed teething, tooth decay, weak teeth.
In addition, calcium has many other benefits such as:
- Adjust muscle contraction: When nerves are stimulated by muscles, calcium is released. Calcium binds to proteins in muscles, causing muscle contraction.
- Helps maintain weight: A lack of calcium can cause cravings and weight gain. In one study, when an obese woman supplemented with calcium, the weight tended to decrease and the body also became stronger.
- Transporting nutrients: Our blood vessels need calcium to help move blood and nutrients through the blood vessels.
- Support cardiovascular health: Calcium helps maintain heart function, relaxes smooth muscle, maintains pressure levels in the arteries, and plays a role in maintaining healthy blood pressure.
- Prevent kidney stones. reduce indigestion. It also plays a role in cell metabolism and blood clotting.
2. How to supplement calcium safely and effectively
With the range of benefits above, calcium supplementation is very important. However, not everyone knows how to safely and effectively supplement calcium. There are many ways to supplement calcium.
2.1 Eat foods high in calcium
Most people think that calcium is only found in milk. But in fact, there are many foods high in calcium in your daily diet even if you follow a vegetarian diet or are lactose intolerant.
Supplement calcium with food
Spinach (spinach), cauliflower, kale, green leafy vegetables are excellent sources of calcium. Calcium is abundant in fruits such as oranges, tangerines, apricots, figs, kiwis, plums, etc. In addition, there are some calcium-rich nuts such as sesame seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, .. Soybeans, black beans, lentils and some foods made from beans such as tofu, soy milk. You can make a salad or smoothie to incorporate calcium-rich foods from vegetables and nuts.
- 10 foods that support bones and joints: What to eat and what to avoid?
- 6 ways to help strengthen bones you should know
2.2 Drink calcium-fortified milk
Milk and dairy products are the best sources of calcium. This is a very effective calcium supplement for adults and children. Whole milk, skim milk, low sugar, no sugar are rich in calcium. Using dairy products is a very good way to supplement calcium for children because children are often too lazy to eat vegetables and some children do not like having to drink milk every day. Dairy products help children’s calcium supplement regimen more abundantly.
- Cheese: For those who are lactose intolerant, hard, aged cheeses contain less natural lactose which is easier for the body to digest.
- Yogurt: Not only contains calcium and phosphorus for strong bones, calcium also contains probiotics that are beneficial for the digestive tract, strengthens the immune system and provides many other important nutrients, good weight control.
- Milk whey: contains a lot of calcium and healthy protein.
Supplement calcium with milk
2.3 Taking calcium supplements
Calcium is lost every day through sweat, feces, urine, skin, hair and nails. If it is not possible to fully supplement calcium through the diet, we need to supplement calcium with supplements to ensure the health of the body in general and bone health in particular as recommended by the doctor.
Currently on the market there are many types of calcium supplements suitable for each age and needs of users. Calcium supplements are available in tablet, capsule, powder, and liquid form. Using liquid form when supplementing calcium for children helps the body to easily digest and absorb. Choose the type of calcium supplement that suits your body’s needs.
2.4 Limit the use of products containing a lot of caffeine
Caffeine prevents the body from absorbing calcium from food and increases calcium excretion through the kidneys. You should not consume too many products containing caffeine. Instead, you should use products that help supplement calcium
3. Important notes when supplementing with calcium
Here are some important notes when you take calcium supplements:
- You should consult your doctor to know the exact calcium needs of your body to avoid excess or deficiency of calcium.
- Excess calcium also causes serious consequences such as calcium deficiency, not drinking as much as possible. Do not overdose on calcium supplements.
- Choose calcium supplements that contain vitamin D or add vitamin D when taking calcium supplements to help your body absorb calcium.
- Eating too much salt will increase the excretion of calcium through the urine.
- Do not take calcium supplements with milk and other minerals.
- Should supplement calcium in the morning because sunlight will help calcium be absorbed better.
- Calcium should not be taken in the evening because calcium is easily deposited leading to stone formation.
Above are some effective and safe ways to supplement calcium and some important notes when supplementing with calcium. Hope to help you properly supplement calcium, prevent and improve bone health problems…